The French Embassy in Colombo said that France wouldn’t comment on allegations as regards former French President Nicolas Sarkozy ordering the assassination of ousted Libyan leader Colonel Gaddafi.
An Embassy spokesperson told that there was no need for the French government to comment on the issue as circumstances under which Gaddafi had been killed on Oct. 20 last year in Sirte were being investigated by Libya. The official was responding to a statement attributed to Mahmoud Jibril, who had served as interim prime minister in the National Transitional Council (NTC). Jibril now heads the National Forces Alliance, one of Libya’s largest political groups.
The UK’s Daily Telegraph quoted former Libyan rebel intelligence chief Rami el-Obeidi as having said that the Syrian government had sold Gaddafi’s satellite telephone number to French intelligence services, allowing them to track Gaddafi’s every move.
El-Obeidi told the Telegraph that Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad, himself battling a growing rebellion at home, had cooperated with Paris in exchange for an easing of pressure on his government.
Attorney-at-law Gomin Dayasri yesterday said that those pursuing international war crimes inquiry, targeting Sri Lanka, should examine allegations directed at the French, a key member of the EU. Although Sarkozy was no longer in power, the French couldn’t ignore allegations made by Jibril and Rami el-Obeidi,
Dayasri said, noting that the French Embassy in Colombo had no option but to decline comment. The lawyer said that Sri Lankan government should use this opportunity to highlight Western double standards as regards accountability issues.
we also raised the issue of French complicity in Libyan leader’s assassination with the Norwegian Embassy as Norway was among the countries propagating accountability. The Embassy suggested that The Island get in touch with the French Office of the Prosecutor authorized to answer any queries regarding former French heads of states. As regards the Norwegian role in NATO operations directed at Libya, the spokesperson said that Norway’s position had been revealed by the then Foreign Minister Jonas Gahr Støre and Defence Minister Grete Faremo in March 2011. Norway was acting in line with UN resolution 1973.
The EU mission in Colombo yesterday said that the EU was yet to comment on the issue.